Cabbage is a vegetable packed with nutrients that you need every day. So start integrating cabbage into your diet. These vegetable cabbage rolls will help you get the servings you need so that you are mindfully eating, every day.
Steaming is the perfect way to cook cabbage. Research shows that consuming steamed cabbage can actually lower a person’s cholesterol level. In addition, cabbage is considered a cruciferous vegetable. The isothiocyanate compound, found in cabbage, can prevent bladder, colon and prostate cancer.
These Rolls are Packed with Nutrients!
There are other nutritious ingredients in this dish. Brown rice as manganese and vitamin B6, which is helpful for proper brain and nerve function. Red bell peppers are extremely high in vitamin C, but it also has vitamin A, vitamin B6, and folate. This means that eating red bell peppers can repair tissues and prevent damage from free radicals. There’s also garlic, which is filled with manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and calcium. The B vitamins in garlic promote “healthy skin, hair, and eyes.” Onions have vitamin C, fiber, and potassium, which can heal wounds. And lastly, there are the beans to consider. They are full of protein and fiber, which is great for your diet.
Cabbage Rolls Recipe:
- 1 head of cabbage (small)
- 1/2 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can of beans of your choice (Navy beans, kidney beans, black beans, etc), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 package of Boca Ground Crumbles
- Start with the fillings. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in olive oil (until tender and caramelized).
- Season to flavor with your choice of spices.
- Mix in the cooked rice.
- Core the cabbage (cut out the center/stem of the cabbage)
- Using a steamer, steam the cabbage leaves for 5 minutes (until soft to roll)
- Remove the cabbage leaves, let chill, and start rolling the fillings in.
- Set the oven at 350 degrees.
- Line the cabbage rolls in a baking dish (lightly greased with olive oil).
- Top the cabbage roll with tomato sauce and Boca Ground Crumbles.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.