Turnip soup anyone? Do you ever pass by the turnips in the produce section and wonder what to do with this root vegetable? They look intimidating and are known for their bitter flavor. But, have no fear. Turnips are truly great additions to your diet! Did your new year’s resolution include looking and feeling better? Try incorporating turnips into your diet as part of an effective weight loss program.
Turnips are chocked full of nutritional elements. Turnips is a cruciferous vegetable that has high levels of antioxidants and phytonutrients. As a result, they are associated with lowering the risk of cancer. Turnip greens are also great sources of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, they help reduce the risk of heart disease and other illnesses as a result of chronic inflammation. They are a low caloric food and high in fiber, which as a result helps regulate the body’s metabolism.
Cream Turnip and Parsnip Soup Recipe
- 3-4 mid-sized turnips
- 2-medium parsnips
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon or 1 bouillon of concentrated vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of white wine or rice wine
- A dash of white pepper salt
- Rinse the turnips and cut the turnip greens off the root (save for garnish).
- Peel the skin and dice the turnips and parsnips into small chunks.
- Bring 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a cooking pot.
- Add vegetable stock, garlic powder and sea salt into the water.
- Add the turnips into the mixture.
- Half way through the cooking process (20 minutes, or until the turnips are semi-tender), add the white or rice wine.
- Once the turnip is soft, remove from the stove top and add a dash of white pepper salt.
- Dump the entire pot into a blender and puree the turnips.
- For a less creamy consistency, add a little more hot water.
Turnip Green Garnish
- Rinse and cut the turnip greens into bite size pieces
- Heat up a cooking pan with olive oil
- Add the chopped turnip greens into the pan
- Season with sea salt and garlic powder to taste
- Cook for 2-5 minutes
- Remove from the heat garnish your soup with turnip greens.
For more soup recipes check our soup section here.