After you’ve shopped to your heart’s content from Friday to Sunday there is still one more day filled with deals: Cyber Monday. Forget the busy lines and the cold weather–instead, enjoy getting great deals on holiday gifts from the comfort of your own home. With a few tips, you can make the most of the experience.
According to some reports, the term “Cyber Monday” dates back to 2005, when the Monday following Thanksgiving was quickly becoming the biggest shopping e-commerce day of the year. With this transition came the coined the phrase: Cyber Monday. Today, many companies are offering special Cyber Monday deals, including free shipping and even belated Black Friday deals and discounts.
Cyber Monday Tips
Are you planning on joining the Cyber Monday madness? Listed below are five tips you should keep in mind.
- Keep your personal information safe. Since this is the season of online shopping, it’s also a time in which many thieves are trolling online, trying to steal your personal information. To keep your credit card information safe when shopping online, consider using a prepaid gift card.
- Look out for scams. Before purchasing something online check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure the company or retailer is a credible business. Also, consider checking with a trusted friend to see if they have ever bought something from the website. If they have had a satisfactory experience chances are you will too.
- Read the fine print. Before you make an online purchase be sure to read online retailer’s customer service information and reviews. It’s also a great idea to make sure you understand return and exchange policies before you complete your order.
- Factor in shipping costs. It’s easy to find great deals online during Black Friday weekend, but before you click “checkout” don’t forget to factor in the shipping costs. While some companies offer free shipping on Cyber Monday, not all companies do. If the money you plan on saving is particularly small, the shipping costs could deplete your savings. Don’t get fooled!
- Apps for Cyber Monday. If you love gadgets consider using Mindful tablet or smartphone apps to help you with your cyber shopping. For instance, try money apps like The Find, which can help you compare prices.