What a perfect time of year to enjoy the last of our fresh garden vegetables on the grill or in the oven. What’s not to love! Shish kabobs are easy, low calorie, simple, very healthy, low cost, creative and can be a real family creation. Add what you love to your shish kabob. This is also a very simple way to invite friends or neighbors over for an enjoyable evening together.
Veggies for Kabobs:
- Your favorite peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Your favorite squash
- Your favorite potatoes, boiled until cooked through
Meat, Fish or Tofu
- Your favorite chicken, fish, or other meats
- Your favorite fish; shrimp or a tight fish
- Tofu (firm tofu is delicious!)
- Choose your favorite marinade.
- The grocery stores have delicious bottled marinades, your favorite salad dressings (Italian or Balsamic), or make your own marinade from scratch.
- Cut vegetables, fish, meat and/or tofu into bite-size pieces.
- Place veggies, fish, meats, shrimp and or tofu in individual bowls and set out buffet style. Tell your family or guests to skewer their own kabobs and place each skewer into your chosen baste/marinate.
- Allow to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Grill or bake shish kabobs for about 10 to 15 minute turning every 5 minutes on the grill or until the meat and/or fish is cooked throughout.