A little stress in a relationship is fairly common, but when your stress levels get out of control it can have disastrous consequences on your love life.
Stress can create distance in your relationship. It distracts you and keeps you from communicating and paying attention to your partner. Stress causes you to experience an array of emotions that you can’t control. It can increase your cortisol and adrenaline levels, interfering with your body’s normal hormone levels and resulting in a low libido or sex drive. And all of these stress consequences can ultimately hinder your romantic relationship. Fortunately, you can take steps to improve these areas in your life.
Keep stress from ruining your love life with these five Mindful Mate tips:
- Start with yourself: To establish a truly loving relationship you must first love yourself. Unfortunately, stress can take a toll on your self-confidence. Take steps to boost your self-confidence by reflecting on your past achievements and let these experiences motivate you. Encourage yourself and stay positive. The more you can appreciate your self-worth the more you’ll appreciate your partner.
- Establish communication sessions:Keeping the line of communication open with your partner can strengthen your relationship and lower your stress. Consider starting each day or ending each night with communication sessions. Regular talks about your fears and your frustrations can help you build on your relationship. It can also help you get to the root of your problems and reduce stress.
- Relax: Stress can lead to heated arguments that can strain relationship. Taking the time to relax and cool down when you’re stressed can help. Have a two-minute cool down in the midst of a spousal argument. Also come up with a relaxing bedtime ritual to help you unwind at the end of the day, so you never go to bed angry.
- Stay active: Reduce stress and renew your love life by exercising daily. This will reduce the extra adrenaline that stress produces. Consider going for a walk in the morning or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Be Mindful of your body image: Stress can also alter the way you view your own body. This can also impact your impact your sex life and your relationship. You can build a positive body image with just one small step. Everyday wake up and look in the mirror. Find one thing positive thing that you love about your body. By starting everyday with a positive view about your appearance you will slowly start to appreciate and love your body as a whole.