The final key part of living an intentional life is centered around “energy”. Dr Hall explains that by developing your awareness (the first key part) and making intentional choices (the second key part), you as a result create new energy in your life.
When you begin listening to your life, you become more aware of what you are eating, who you are living with, and where you go to work each day. You will begin to notice an energy swelling within you as you become more aware. If you choose to stay in a challenging job or relationship, you can choose to change your attitude. You will make new and different choices, because you now know that life is your choice, and you are the hero of your life, not the victim. You will radiate confidence and a new sense of your own power. As you follow this energy, you will be led down the path to a mindful and intentional life. Your energy fuels your passion and as a result you will experience the joy of living a mindful life.
Healthy boundaries will be invaluable to you in giving you energy and helping you attain true happiness. People and the world around you may be a distraction at times that you should try to avoid.
What is “intentional living”?
Living intentionally means being aware of what creates passion within you, and putting your energy into that specific area. For example, everyday tasks and occurrences can sometimes distract you. Our feelings of powerlessness stem from doing nothing. By focusing on a project, no matter how small, helps you live an intentional life. As a result, it also helps to warm your heart and make the world a slightly better place. We invite you to watch our 3 part video series on Live an Intentional Life. If you’d like to learn even more, Dr. Hall explains this concept in great detail in her book, “Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?”.
How can I live an intentional life?
Intention is a powerful energy that creates an abundant intentional life of true happiness. Always remember that you are the governor or manager of your time, your life is your time on earth. Here are some basic ways to live an intentional life based on your awareness of your life:
- Create the intentions of your life: Ask yourself “what is the intention of your life?”. Take time for reflection and ask yourself what you love, what you are passionate about and what your intentions are.
- Prioritize: Once you have identified what your intentions are in your life, identify and prioritize what it will take for you to realize your intentions.
- Don’t procrastinate: It doesn’t matter how small an amount of your energy you put toward your intentional life, just focusing your thoughts everyday is enough to keep you headed in that direction.
- Learn to say “No”: Sometimes you will have to make decisions on what you will have to delete from your life so you can focus on the purpose of your life. Time is the most valuable jewel you have, so guard it and protect it. For example, create boundaries and limits. Don’t be afraid to say “no” if something is not in your best interest.
- Avoid distractions: Don’t be distracted by others and the world. Focus on yourself and as a result you will continually have more energy, power, and courage to move toward your intentional life.