It’s May and since 1949 we have been observing May as Mental Health Month. Let’s take a moment to take a look at the state of mental health within our families and in our country.
One in five Americans is affected by mental illness. We have created an environment of shame and fear associated with mental illness. Please help us begin a campaign to bring mental illness out of the shadows so we can treat this disease as we do physical diseases. We have effective treatments for mental illness. It is tragic that we continue to experience the pain and suffering from untreated mental illness.
There are consequences to keeping mental illness silent and on the back burner. We are losing tremendous human potential along with the tremendous suffering that mental illness creates within ourselves, our families and in society.
Mental Illness Facts
- 1 in 5 adults in the United States experiences mental illness each year.
- 1 in 5 youth aged 13-18 experiences a severe mental illness in their lifetime.
- 46 percent of homeless adults live with a serious mental illness.
- 70 percent of youth in juvenile justice systems have a mental health condition.
- The suicide rate for white children and teens between 10 and 17 was up 70% between 2006 and 2016.
- More than 90 percent of children who die by suicide have a mental health condition.
- An estimated 18-22 veterans commit suicide each day.
Common Mental Illness Symptoms
People experience different symptoms. Here are some symptoms to be aware of a potential diagnosis of mental illness.
- Risky behavior such as drug use, overuse of alcohol, prescription drugs, compulsive sexual behavior, or developing relationships with at risk individuals or groups.
- Internet addiction.
- Changes in eating or sleeping behaviors.
- Increased mood swings.
- Depressive or flat affect.
- Increasing anger or impulsive rage behaviors.
- Delusions, hearing voices or detachment from reality.
Education and Advocacy
Learn about the great variety of mental illness conditions. You can change your own life, the life of those you love and many others with your knowledge. Get more information at any of the links below.