With the pool parties, summer camps, and road trips, summer is a fun time of year. It can also be quite expensive. In fact, according to American Express, American parents spend up to $856 per child on summer activities like sports, childcare, and other programs. This doesn’t even include the costly vacation expenses. Fortunately, the right financial money apps for the summer can make all the difference.
Here are a few Mindful money apps that can help you save money while enjoying fun summer activities:
- Road Trips: Some families choose to drive to their destinations instead of flying, as airline tickets can be expensive. In order to maximize your savings it’s important to be mindful of your gas consumption. That’s why GasBuddy is such a helpful app. It helps you find the cheapest gas in your area. Want an estimate of how much gas you’ll be buying during your road trip? GasBuddy’s website offers a trip cost calculator for that exact purpose.
- Yard and Garage Sales: Summer is a popular time for yard sales and garage sales. These sales help your community and you can get great items that you need for a low price. Instead of scouring the newspaper to find a local yard sale consider using a smartphone app. Yard Sale Treasure Map is an app that notifies you of all the yard sales listed on craigslist. It offers maps, further details on the sales, and street views of the home. Another app to consider is Garage Sales by Map, which has a map of all garage sales listed on websites like Gsalr.com, Oodle.com, YardSales.net, and EstateSales.org. It also offers directions to the sale.
- Baseball Games: A trip to the baseball stadium can be fun, but between the tickets, food, drinks, and merchandise it can also sap a portion of your summer budget. Fortunately, there’s the MLB.com At the Ballpark app. This app holds all of your electronic tickets for MLB games, it offers a directory for the stadium, and it has team statistics and video highlights. It also informs you of rewards, ballpark offers, and special promotional events that can help you save money this summer.
- Summer Concerts: Summer is the time of live music, but the cost of concert tickets can be tough for your wallet. That’s why the SeatGeek Tickets app is so perfect. It posts cheap Broadway, comedy, concert, and sport tickets from over 100 of the top major sellers. It helps you find the best deals and alerts you when your favorite artists are expected to come to town. Save money on your next concert by downloading this app.
- Food Trucks: When we were younger we looked forward to hearing the ice cream truck visiting our neighborhoods in the summer. Nowadays many adults looked forward to getting their lunch from yummy food trucks. From barbecue to seafood, there are a variety of food trucks to enjoy and the app Eat St will help you track them down. It will help you find cost-efficient food trucks around your location and gives you information on the cuisine and price.