Looking for tasty recipes for summer salads? This is the perfect time of year to pull your fresh picked cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and onions from your garden and create this healthy, low calorie salad.
Health Benefits of Salad
The main ingredients for this salad include tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and mozzarella cheese. These ingredients are full of healthy nutrients that can benefit your diet. Tomatoes are full of vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K. Cucumbers have vitamin K. Red peppers are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin B6. Yellow and green peppers have high quantities of the same vitamins; however, yellow peppers also contain significant levels of folate and green peppers have higher quantities of vitamin K. Lastly, there’s mozzarella, which is a great source of protein, vitamin B12, and calcium.
These nutrients are great for you as vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps you heal faster and stay healthy. Vitamin A helps prevent cell damage and keeps your skin damage. For better bone health there’s vitamin K. Vitamin B6 helps lower risks of heart attacks. It’s also been used to treat depression, memory loss, and kidney stones. Folate helps prevent heart disease and can help women have healthy pregnancies. People with Alzheimer’s disease can greatly benefit from vitamin B12. This vitamin can also help you sleep easier at night.
Does this nutritional salad sound yummy to you? Consider making it for your next party or event; it’s simple to make.
Mozzarella, Tomato and Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small pepper, (choose your favorite type) chopped
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onions
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (for a quick shortcut, use Jane’s Crazy Salt)
- 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Optional: olives (chopped black or green)
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, and onions (and/or olives).
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, oregano, and black pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Just before serving, stir in cheese.
- Add fresh basil for garnish.