It’s National Meditation Month. There are many benefits of meditation. It’s a practice that relaxes the body, calms the mind and creates greater awareness. There are innumerable methods of mindfulness meditation. I have been meditating for over 30 years, and it is the anchor of my life. Through losses, deaths, betrayals, financial challenges and family crises, meditation has been the Divine Grace in my life.
Benefits of Meditation
Research shows meditation helps with many health conditions such as anxiety, depression, and insomnia. It can also help prevent or reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, hypertension, and diabetes.
Guide to a Simple Meditation
- Go to a quiet place. Go to a quiet place. This can be your bedroom, a room in your home, close the door to your office, in your car, in a garden, or anywhere.
- Relax. For the next minutes choose to surrender and accept your experience, having a passive attitude.
- Your body position. Uncross your legs and arms. Close your eyes or at least gaze down. You can sit in a chair, use a cushion, a meditation bench, or sit on the floor on some pillows.
- Focus on your breath. Slowly inhale through your nose to the count of 4, and then exhale through your mouth to the count of 4. Inhale, 1-2-3-4. Exhale, 1-2-3-4.
- Your thoughts. Your mind loves to think and talk to you. When you get quiet, you will realize how busy your mind is. When a thought pops up, you may want to imagine that a cloud is blowing your thought away or a stream is moving the thought away in the current. Always return to your anchor and surrender to your breath. Set the timer on your phone and practice your meditation for as long as you wish.
- The Meditation Room. I can help you meditate if you visit The Meditation Room on our site. Just follow this link.
- Meditation Apps. I love to use meditation apps. They are great, especially for beginners. I like the Calm App and the Insight Timer App.
- A Meditation Teacher. I have had many meditation teachers throughout my life and learned many different meditations. Find a good meditation teacher, and it will transform your life.