With all the summer activities you’ll be getting into soon, you may not have time to make healthy snacks. This simple recipe is easy to make and could soon become your summer favorite.
This is such an easy snack to make in advance for when you’re on the go. The primary ingredient is oatmeal, which is low in fat and high in dietary fiber. Oatmeal also contains thiamin or vitamin B1, which plays a key role in nerve, muscle, and heart functions. The secondary ingredient is honey, which is full of iron and riboflavin. You can utilize local honey to help build your immunity against plant allergens.
This energy bar also contains almond butter, which has a ton of healthy nutrients including protein, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, copper, and fiber. These nutrients can reduce your heart disease risk and protect against diabetes. The coconut flakes are high in manganese and other nutrients that can give you a boost of energy and help with your immune system. The vegan chocolate chips have small amounts of protein as well as antioxidants that can improve brain function and heart health.
Need some energy?
Listed below is the Mindful recipe for No Bake Energy Snacks.
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (use steel-cut oats or old-fashioned oats)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup local honey
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Stir the first seven ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. Smaller sizes would be best for snacking on the go.
- Cover the balls with coconut flakes.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Bonus: This recipe makes about 20-25 balls. You can vary the recipe by substituting the vegan chocolate chips with dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, or sour cherries. You can also roll the balls in toasted sesame seeds or cinnamon. You can also add nuts if you would like an extra crunch or a nutrient boost.