What a perfect time of year to enjoy the last of our fresh garden vegetables on the grill. What’s not to love? Shish kabobs are easy to assemble and prepare, low in calories, and low in cost. This meal can be assembled using creativity and input from all family members or friends. Make it fun!
Ask each member of the family/ party guests to suggest an ingredient for the skewers; place each suggestion on a sheet of paper and randomly pick four ingredients to use in meal. Check your pantry for the perfect salad dressing marinade, like balsamic vinegar, or condiments, like soy or barbeque sauce. You can also make your own. Listed below are some ingredient and marinade ideas.
- Your favorite peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Your favorite squash
- Your favorite potatoes, boiled until cooked through
- Your favorite chicken, fish, or other meat substitutes
- Your favorite fish; shrimp or a tight fish
- Firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning (mixture of cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt and chili powder)
Once you’ve made decisions on the ingredients, here are some helpful directions.
- Cut vegetables, fish, meat and/or tofu into bite-size pieces. Soak skewers in water.
- Place veggies, fish, meats, shrimp and or tofu in individual bowls and set out buffet style. Tell your family or guests to skewer their own kabobs and place each skewer into your chosen baste/marinate. Allow it to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Grill or bake shish kabobs for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes on the grill or until the meat and/or fish is cooked throughout.