It’s that time of year again. You may be dreading this time of year if you are one of the many people who become a sports widow or widower. If you want your sports lover to stop watching sports, that just won’t work. How would you feel if you were told to stop experiencing an event that allows you to enjoy feelings of playfulness, happiness and ties into a lifetime of memories and experiences?
Here are a few inside tips to help you navigate the challenges of being a sports widow or widower.
There are health benefits to enjoying sports:
- PLAY: Enjoying watching sports can be a great way to PLAY. Research shows play keeps us healthy: vital organs like the brain get energized and renewed. PLAY creates essential social connections that we as humans need. PLAY makes us laugh, play and creates happiness.
- Stress Reducer: Blowing off Steam: you can produce great healthy hormones when you are having fun and reduce the stress hormones.
- Relaxation: This may be a great source of relaxation for your partner. Relaxation is essential for good mental and physical health.
- Community: Identifying with a group and bonding with people you have over for the game are all great for mental health.
- Family Activity: You can make sporting events family activities. Family members get your favorite teams jerseys, eat fun food, (pizza, subs and other favorites), create rituals when your team scores, celebrate and also share the crying towel when they lose.
Communication between both of you
- Sharing sporting events together is a great way to open communications with each other. This can be an opportunity to play, laugh, and talk with your significant other. Good communication creates intimacy. Also, instead of living in 2 different worlds, you can share one space together.