Do you know that there are a variety of mushrooms outside your typical grocery variety of white button mushrooms and Portobello mushrooms? Try different types of mushrooms with this yummy recipe.
Mushrooms can be a great part of your diet. They foster immune functions by promoting the maturation of immune system cells called dendritic cells. They also contain selenium, and research shows that selenium can help protect against certain types of cancer. All mushrooms are low in calories and are high in vitamin B and vitamin D, but certain mushrooms contain higher percentages of these great health benefits. In this recipe, we recommend using oyster mushrooms to maximize your nutrition from mushrooms.
Beyond mushrooms, this salad is wonderful for your health, because it also contains other healthy ingredients like garlic and olive oil. Garlic is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, and calcium. This herb is said to help with heart and blood-related conditions like high blood pressure, heart disease, and high cholesterol. Olive oil, which is great in moderation, contains vitamin E and vitamin K. Olive oil has been used in numerous studies and has been linked to decreases in cancer tumors, lower inflammation, as well as reduced cardiovascular disease risk.
With all of these nutritional benefits, it’s almost easy to forget that this salad is rather easy to prepare. This dish is a tasty and fast springtime dinner or lunch entree. To learn more, check the ingredients and instructions listed below.
Mindful Mushroom Salad
- 1 lb of exotic mushrooms (wash and trim oyster, trumpet, chanterelle, crimini, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped/finely diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Your choice of arugula, endives, romaine or other salad greens
- Thinly shaved parmesan (or ricotta cheese)
- Heat olive oil and garlic in sauté pan.
- Toss in exotic mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are thoroughly cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; set mushrooms aside.
- Lightly dress salad greens with olive oil and sea salt.
- Top with mushrooms and shaved parmesan.
Bonus: Garnish with white anchovies. Why use white anchovies? They are full of protein and selenium, plus it will add omega-3s to your healthy meal.