Ecotherapy Is Medicine
It’s almost Spring and Mother Nature is beckoning you to get outside and join her majesty today. With good reason too, because there are many surprising benefits of Eco-therapy.
Eco-therapy is about getting outdoors and becoming active in a natural environment to boost mental and physical health. Studies reported decreased levels of depression after a walk in nature. Individuals said they felt less tense after a walk in nature. Over 90% said their self-esteem increased after a walk in nature. Additionally, 88% of people reported feeling improved mood after their walk in nature. These are just a few of the benefits you can experience from ecotherapy.
Why Our Moods Change When we Are Outside
- Connection. We make nature and social connections with animals, trees, clouds and our surroundings.
- Sensory stimulation. Colors, sounds, fresh air, and wind, all stimulate our senses. For example, each day notice the different shades of blue in the sky.
- Activity. When we are walking and in motion it makes us produce healing, energizing chemicals such as endorphins and serotonin.
- Escape from our busy lives. We are reflecting, thinking and coming home to our self and this de-stresses and nourishes us.
Incorporate “Eco-therapy” Into Your Life
- Take a walk in nature during your lunch.
- Get your family to take an evening walk together regularly.
- Listen to nature sounds on a nature sound disk or machine a couple of times a week at work.
- Keep photos of you in nature around your office to remind you of how you love to connect with nature.
- Have a plant in your office.
- Keep a small aquarium in your office with a couple of fish.