It’s almost Spring and Mother Nature is beckoning you to get outside and join her majesty today. With good reason too, because there are many surprising benefits of Eco-therapy.
Eco-therapy is about getting outdoors and becoming active in a natural environment to boost mental and physical health. Studies reported decreased levels of depression after a walk in nature. Individuals said they felt less tense after a walk in nature. Over 90% said their self-esteem increased after a walk in nature. Additionally, 88% of people reported feeling improved mood after their walk in nature. These are just a few of the benefits you can experience from ecotherapy.
Why Our Moods Change When we Are Outside
- Connection. We make nature and social connections with animals, trees, clouds and our surroundings.
- Sensory stimulation. Colors, sounds, fresh air, and wind, all stimulate our senses. For example, each day notice the different shades of blue in the sky.
- Activity. When we are walking and in motion it makes us produce healing, energizing chemicals such as endorphins and serotonin.
- Escape from our busy lives. We are reflecting, thinking and coming home to our self and this de-stresses and nourishes us.
Incorporate “Eco-therapy” Into Your Life
- Take a walk in nature during your lunch.
- Get your family to take an evening walk together regularly.
- Listen to nature sounds on a nature sound disk or machine a couple of times a week at work.
- Keep photos of you in nature around your office to remind you of how you love to connect with nature.
- Have a plant in your office.
- Keep a small aquarium in your office with a couple of fish.