Want to learn a new way to make a grilled cheese sandwich? Enter the air fryer! Not only will your sandwich be an ooey-gooey cheese filled treat, but the bread will be perfectly toasted….. Every time! Plus learn some tips and tricks so you can make a truly excellent air fryer grilled cheese sandwich in less than 10 minutes.
Making a grilled cheese the standard, frying pan way requires careful attention to make sure the bread isn’t getting *too* toasty. However, wen you use this air fryer method, you put your sandwich in and walk away until it’s time to flip. It’s also a great, safe way for kids to make their own grilled cheese sandwiches.
This recipe yields 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated smoked gouda
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter, softened
- Spread the mayo (and mustard if using it) equally on one side of each of piece of bread.
- Sprinkle the two types of cheeses equally on two of the pieces of bread.
- Next top with the other slice (mayo/mustard side down).
- Butter both sides of each sandwich, then place butter side down in the air fryer basket, leaving a little space between the two sandwiches.
- Set the air fryer to 390°, and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip the sandwiches and return to the air fryer for 4 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and toasted.
- Wait 1 to 2 minutes, then slice and serve.
Thanks to The Pioneer Woman for this great air fryer recipe!