A Spring cleaning checklist is a great way to organize and cleanse your home; it can also be a wonderful ritual to purify your life. Where does this spring tradition come from? Spring cleaning has roots in various cultural holidays including the Jewish custom of Pesah or Passover and the Chinese celebration of the Lunar New Year.
The best way to start a complete home cleaning is to create a checklist for every room like the bathroom, kitchen, living room and dining room. Most people do the basics like mopping, sweeping, and vacuuming, but this is just the beginning. When spring cleaning it’s important to get every nook and cranny. Listed below are the commonly overlooked spots that you don’t want to miss this year.
10 Things for Your Spring Cleaning Checklist
1. Blinds and curtains. Have your curtains cleaned and wipe all the blinds in your home with a damp rag or with dusting products.
2. Cabinets and shelves. From bookcases to closets to kitchen and medicine cabinets, clean out all unwanted items and dust/clean the shelves.
3. Doorknobs. Disinfect all doorknobs and locks in your home for extra germ protection.
4. Light fixtures and ceiling fans. Use dusting products to clean fans and light fixtures. Consider going a step further and lightly dust light bulbs too.
5. Nooks and Crannies. You may need to get on your hands and knees or find a step ladder, but it’s important to clean the hard-to-reach corners from the top of the room to the bottom.
6. The Fridge. Take out all the food. Throw away items that have expired and proceed to clean the shelves and walls of the appliance, inside and out.
7. The oven and microwave. You can use special cleaners for the oven and the microwave to rid your appliances of those stubborn, baked-on messes.
8. Vents. Use a duster or a vacuum to clean your vents. Don’t forget to change the air filters too.
9. Walls and baseboards. Walls get dusty too. You can use a duster or a damp rag for a thorough cleaning. Don’t forget to get the corners and the ceiling if you can reach.
10. Windows. Cleaning the inside glass is easy, but don’t forget the outside too. If you need a ladder make sure you have someone there to hold it steady.