The Amazing Power of Music
There is amazing power that infuses your mind, body, and soul through music. It can help you through heartbreaks, stressful life events, and energize you during exercise sessions. But most importantly, music can bring you joy and inner peace. According to the Greek philosopher Plato, music is a life necessity. A quote from Plato reads: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” While meditation, classical, or religious music are often used for our spiritual health, any music can positively affect your mind, body, and soul.
Music Affects Your Health
Music doesn’t just affect your mental health; it can also affect your physical health. According to research from Taiwan, relaxing with music 30 minutes a day while breathing deeply can lower the stress hormone, cortisol, and ease anxiety. An Italian study also found that listening to Celtic, classical, or Indian music for 30 minutes while breathing slowly could lower blood pressure. A Japanese study found that opera music could boost the health of our immune system. And music therapy has been shown to help with many conditions including anxiety, depression, hypertension, heart disease, and insomnia.
Begin Your Music Therapy Today
Science continues to tell us about the healing power of music. Many of us just don’t know how to schedule more music into our lives. Here are a few tips to help you receive free mental and physical healing from music.
- Start your day the right way. Music is the best way to begin in the morning, even if you aren’t a morning person. Consider using peaceful or relaxing music during your morning commute, shower, or meditation sessions. It’s the best way to boost your spirit and prepare you for the rest of the day.
- Mindful playlists. Create spiritual playlists for various challenging situations you’re faced with throughout the day. Do you get commuter frustration? Consider creating a calming playlist for the journey. Experiencing job burnout? Consider creating an energizing playlist.
- Note the melody and the lyrics. Don’t just let the music go through one ear and out the other. Slow down and focus on the melody and the lyrics. The words and message of a song can be just as important to you as the tune.
- Play your own spiritual music. Are you a musician? Consider playing calming music to help you relax or energizing music to get you inspired. If you don’t play an instrument consider learning (it’s a great hobby that boosts brain power) or try joining a local community singing group. There are online classes for almost all instruments.
- What’s your theme song? Feeling down lately? Music can be the solution. Discover a song that can be your own personal theme song. Consider choosing a song that inspires you daily. A great personal theme song helps you after a tough day and boosts your self-confidence.