You may be wondering: what is the difference between whipped cream and whipping cream? Well, whipping cream is thick cream than CAN BE whipped so that it doubles in volume and usually comes in cans or cartons. On the other hand, whipped cream is thick cream that has already been whipped and usually comes in aerosol canisters.
It is a popular topping for fruit and desserts such as pie, ice cream, cakes, milkshakes, waffles, hot chocolate, cheesecakes, Jello, puddings, just to name a few. Oftentimes, it is also placed on top of coffee, especially in the Viennese coffee house tradition. There’s not very many desserts that aren’t even tastier with a plop of this creamy goodness on top, in my opinion.
Some people choose to avoid it for a variety of reasons, including dairy allergies or the high fat content. As a result, there are fortunately several alternatives. We’d like to present these healthier alternatives (not mentioning if we used the instead on our dessert…): butter & milk, banana & egg whites, and chilled evaporated milk, just to name a few.
This pie is sure to please even the pickiest eaters…
Whipped Cream Pie Recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces (1 cup) package cream cheese, softened
- a tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream, whipped
- 9 inch graham cracker pie crust
- fresh fruit (to garnish)
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Fold cheese mixture into whipped cream.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Garnish with fruit– peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, would all be good with this; as would some shaved chocolate!
Takes 3 hours & 30 minutes