La Quinta by Wyndham is hosting pet therapy dogs in the lobby of select hotels today, the busiest business travel day of the year
As one of the pet-friendliest brands in the hotel business, La Quinta by Wyndham knows pets are beloved members of the family. They understand that pets help create health, happiness, and productivity in your life.
And I couldn’t agree more. In fact, pet ownership is an important part of my S.E.L.F. Care Program® that reduces stress, creates resilience to diseases, and helps you live longer. I created a simple acronym that is easy to remember, S.E.L.F. CARE.
These are four research-backed tips that will improve the health, happiness, and productivity of your mind and body. There are four daily practices in S.E.L.F. Care for your stress resilience, health, and happiness. These four practices are your four roots to a meaningful, healthy life.
- S is for Serenity. Learn stress reduction practices that will create peace and happiness in your life. Learn breathing practices, positive affirmations, and listen to music or nature sounds regularly.
- E is for Exercise. Exercising just a few minutes a day reduces your stress.
- L is for Love. Connections with people and animals reduce your stress, help you live longer, and creates a rich and rewarding life.
- F is for Food. Food is medicine – Food is healing – Food regulates your mood, reduces your stress, improves your sleep, and overall health and longevity.
My Jack Russells, Chloe and Emma, have always been my traveling partners for most of my professional life and have joined me on the road whether I was on a book tour for my newly released books or traveling across the country, giving corporate speeches and training. Traveling with my pets gives me the support, love, and stress reduction I need as I attend many television, radio, and media appearances around the world.
There is nothing like knowing I have Chloe or Emma waiting for me in my room after doing a live, stressful interview on national television. I always try to stay at pet-friendly hotels, like La Quinta by Wyndham, but if you don’t have a dog of your own and are on the road today, La Quinta is offering therapy dogs in the lobby at select locations for guests to ‘take a paws’ and de-stress today, the busiest business travel day of the year.
Studies continue to show the health benefits of dogs, including:
- Dog owners live longer. Dog owners live longer than those who don’t have dogs. Research shows that dog owners had a 24% risk reduction for death from any cause. There was even a greater benefit for dog owners with heart problems.
- Pets can de-stress while on the road. According to the latest “La Quinta Means Business” survey, the vast majority of business travelers (86%) agree that petting a dog while on a business trip would be one of the best ways to de-stress.
- Pets relieve stress and boost your mood. Studies continue to show that petting and being around pets relieve stress, depression, and boost your mood.
- Pets benefit your heart health. The American Heart Association concludes there is a substantial body of data that shows pets reduce your CVD, cardiovascular disease, risk factors, (e.g., heart rate, blood pressure), and increased survival in individuals with established CVD. Another study found that when the effectiveness of a hypertensive drug compared to pet ownership, pet ownership was more effective.
- Pets increase your physical activity. Studies show people who own pets exercise, are more active, manage their weight, and enjoy better overall health
- Dogs give you pain relief. Studies show that therapy dogs have a positive effect on the patient’s level of pain.
- Pets boost your cognitive function. A study at the University of Maryland showed pets preserved and enhanced cognitive function.
Next time you’re preparing for a business trip and your dog sits inside your suitcase, maybe you’ll consider bringing them along with you!