Yummy Healthy Cauliflower Surprise
There are tons of yummy classic dishes such as mac and cheese, green bean casserole, and sweet potato pie. If you would like to bring a new dish to the dinner table, try this recipe for white cheddar cauliflower gratin.
Cauliflower: Unsung Veggie Hero
Cauliflower is often the neglected vegetable on the plate, but it is very healthy for you. Cauliflower is a healthy cruciferous vegetable. It’s high in vitamin C and vitamin K and also has potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and fiber.
With this gratin dish, you will be serving delicious and nutritious cauliflower with a light brown crust of cheese and breadcrumbs. The garlic and onions add additional health benefits. What’s not to love about that?
White Cheddar Cauliflower
(Recipe from Jaclyn at Cooking Fancy)
- 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, diced into pieces
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup of finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 slices veggie bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook florets until tender but still firm (about five to six minutes). Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened. Also add garlic and sauté. Add in flour and cook whisking constantly.
- While whisking slowly pour in milk and add nutmeg. Whisk constantly until mixture reaches a boil, then remove from heat and stir in 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese and the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour and spread 1/3 of the cheese sauce into a 9 by 9-inch baking dish. Top with drained cauliflower then slowly and evenly pour remaining 2/3 of the cheese sauce over cauliflower.
- Sprinkle over remaining 1/4 cup of white cheddar then sprinkle evenly with Panko. Spray Panko with olive oil cooking spray to lightly coat.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to help brown further as needed. Remove from oven, sprinkle with veggie bacon and parsley and serve warm.
Recipe source: Inspired by Ina Garten’s recipe
Bonus. Looking for more cauliflower recipes? We’ve got you covered! This recipe for cauliflower “wings” is a healthy vegetarian alternative to chicken wings. This meal will make a great addition to your next party.
Your info is secure and we will never sell or distribute your personal information.