There are tons of classic Thanksgiving Day dishes such as mac and cheese, green bean casserole, and sweet potato pie. If you would like to bring a new dish to the dinner table this year, try this recipe for white cheddar cauliflower gratin.
Unsung Veggie Hero: Cauliflower
Cauliflower is often the neglected vegetable on the plate, but it is rather healthy for you. Cauliflower is a healthy cruciferous vegetable. It’s high in vitamin C and vitamin K and also has potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and fiber.
With this gratin dish, you will be serving delicious and nutritious cauliflower with a light brown crust of cheese and breadcrumbs. What’s not to love about that?
We hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with this delicious recipe.
White Cheddar Cauliflower
(Recipe from Jaclyn at Cooking Fancy)
- 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, diced into pieces
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup of finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 slices veggie bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook florets until tender but still firm (about five to six minutes). Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened. Also add garlic and sauté. Add in flour and cook whisking constantly.
- While whisking slowly pour in milk and add nutmeg. Whisk constantly until mixture reaches a boil, then remove from heat and stir in 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese and the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour and spread 1/3 of the cheese sauce into a 9 by 9-inch baking dish. Top with drained cauliflower then slowly and evenly pour remaining 2/3 of the cheese sauce over cauliflower.
- Sprinkle over remaining 1/4 cup of white cheddar then sprinkle evenly with Panko. Spray Panko with olive oil cooking spray to lightly coat.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to help brown further as needed. Remove from oven, sprinkle with veggie bacon and parsley and serve warm.
Recipe source: Inspired by Ina Garten’s recipe
Bonus. Looking for more cauliflower recipes? We’ve got you covered! This recipe for cauliflower “wings” is a healthy vegetarian alternative to chicken wings. This meal will make a great addition to your next party.