Want to brighten up your Friday? Are you hungry for a sweet dessert? Well, you’re in luck! It is National Doughnut (or Donut) Day!
Across the country, doughnut chains (such as Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme) and local doughnut shops are offering great deals for this special occasion. If you’re feeling extra creative you can make your own summer-flavored doughnuts that your whole family can enjoy!
Listed below are five summer doughnut recipes for you to try.
- Baked s’mores doughnuts. S’mores, the classic camping treat, is a summer favorite summer. This delicious recipe from Real HouseMoms combines the s’mores taste with doughnuts. The base is baked graham cracker doughnuts, which are made by adding graham cracker crumbs and instant vanilla pudding to the batter. The doughnuts are then cut in half and a layer of marshmallows is added to the inside, then topped with dark chocolate and more graham cracker crumbs. Your kids will love them!
- Mango coconut doughnuts. Looking for a tropical-flavored doughnut? You’ll enjoy making these baked mango and coconut doughnuts. The base is a browned butter doughnut. It’s topped with a fresh mango glaze and topped with toasted coconut. For more information, check out this recipe from Chez CateyLou.
- Key lime pie doughnuts. This refreshing baked doughnut recipe from The Beach House Kitchen tastes just like a yummy key lime pie. Lime zest and key lime juice are added to the batter for that classic pie taste. The doughnuts have a key lime glaze made with powdered sugar, key lime juice, milk, and green food coloring. And on top of the glaze, you can add graham crackers for that pie crust element.
- Strawberry shortcake grilled doughnuts. Grilling season is in full swing and this grilled doughnut recipe is the perfect dessert your next barbecue. These doughnuts are made by frying homemade brioche doughnuts, grilling the doughnuts for a little while, cutting them in half, and stuffing them with strawberries and whipped ricotta cream. If you’re interested, try this recipe from Half Baked Harvest.
- Pineapple and strawberry doughnuts. If you’re looking for a baked doughnut with a strawberry flavor than this recipe from The Simple, Sweet Life is for you. The doughnuts are made with pineapple juice mixed into the traditional batter, and the doughnuts are topped with a strawberry glaze made from strawberry puree and powdered sugar. On top of the glaze, you can add toasted coconut.