If you have a sweet tooth this is the month for you! September is National Honey Month and one of the most delicious ways to celebrate is with homemade flavored honey. You can make your own infused honey with just two ingredients: honey and an herb or spice. It’s simple to make and it can jazz up any of your favorite dishes. Listed below are three honey-infused recipes for you to try: chili pepper-infused honey, thyme-infused honey, and cinnamon-infused honey.
Chili Pepper-Infused Honey
Are you a big fan of sweet and spicy? If so, you’re going to love this honey! You can add the honey to your spicy chicken marinade. You can drizzle the honey on top of your cornbread for a spicy kick. If you’re interested, try the recipe listed below.
(Recipe from Bon Appetit)
- 2- 4 hot chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of honey
- Bring two chilies and honey to a bare simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook 1 hour to infuse.
- Taste honey and adjust heat with another chili or two, remove from stove and let sit 30 minutes. Transfer to a small jar, straining if desired. Cover and chill.
- Note: Hot honey can be made three months ahead. Keep chilled.
You can infuse honey with a large variety of herbs, from rosemary to lavender. One very versatile herb is thyme. You can use thyme-infused honey to glazed roasted carrots or sweeten mashed butternut squash. You can also use the honey for honey and thyme ice cream or it can sweeten your tea or homemade lemonade. The recipe is listed below.
Thyme Infused Honey
(Recipe from Brittany Thomas at scratchmommy.com)
- Fresh thyme
- Raw honey
- Fill a mason jar with thyme until half full. Fill the jar with honey. Stir and remove any air bubbles, if possible. Add lid.
- Place jar on a sunny windowsill and infuse honey for two weeks
- When the honey has a distinct thyme smell and taste, strain the fresh herbs and store in a cool cupboard or in the fridge.
- Note: for a faster solution, place the honey and thyme in a double boiler and heat at 180 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
Honey and cinnamon are a nice pairing that can be added to an array of sweet things. You can add cinnamon-infused honey to a roasted sweet potato dish. Or you can mix the cinnamon-infused honey with butter and use it for your toast or pancakes. The yummy recipe is listed below.
Cinnamon Infused Honey
(Recipe from Busy in Brooklyn)
- 1 cup of good quality honey
- 5 sticks of cinnamon
- Add honey and cinnamon sticks to a pot and warm over low heat. Do not let the honey come to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Remove honey from heat and cool.
- Pour the honey and into a mason jar, add cinnamon sticks, and seal.
- Keep the jar in a cool place and taste the honey periodically. Once you reach the desired honey taste remove the cinnamon sticks.