Learn the foundations for living an intentional life. the second key concept is choice. Dr Hall explains that as you gain more awareness it will lead you to a desire to exercise intentional choices in your life. Once you are aware that your life is the result of a series of your choices (and the life you are currently living is a result of the ones you have already made), you will as a result learn to take responsibility for your life. The “victim mentality” ends when you understand the power of choice. You may not control many of the circumstances in your life, but you can choose your attitude and intentions in response to those circumstances.
Don’t procrastinate. It doesn’t matter how small an amount of your energy you put toward your intentional life, every day just focusing your thoughts is enough to keep you headed in that direction. Learn to say no. It is time for you to focus on the purpose of your life, so you will have to make decisions on what you will have to delete from your life. Time is the most valuable jewel you have, so choose to guard it and protect it.
What is “intentional living”?
Living intentionally means being aware of what creates passion within you, and putting your energy into that specific area. For example, everyday tasks and occurrences can sometimes distract you. Our feelings of powerlessness stem from doing nothing. By focusing on a project, no matter how small, helps you live an intentional life. As a result, it also helps to warm your heart and make the world a slightly better place. We invite you to watch our 3 part video series on Live an Intentional Life. If you’d like to learn even more, Dr. Hall explains this concept in great detail in her book, “Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?”.
How can I live an intentional life?
Intention is a powerful energy that creates an abundant intentional life of true happiness. Always remember that you are the governor or manager of your time, your life is your time on earth. Here are some basic ways to live an intentional life based on your awareness of your life:
- Create the intentions of your life: Ask yourself “what is the intention of your life?”. Take time for reflection and ask yourself what you love, what you are passionate about and what your intentions are.
- Prioritize: Once you have identified what your intentions are in your life, identify and prioritize what it will take for you to realize your intentions.
- Don’t procrastinate: It doesn’t matter how small an amount of your energy you put toward your intentional life, just focusing your thoughts everyday is enough to keep you headed in that direction.
- Learn to say “No”: Sometimes you will have to make decisions on what you will have to delete from your life so you can focus on the purpose of your life. Time is the most valuable jewel you have, so guard it and protect it. For example, create boundaries and limits. Don’t be afraid to say “no” if something is not in your best interest.
- Avoid distractions: Don’t be distracted by others and the world. Focus on yourself and as a result you will continually have more energy, power, and courage to move toward your intentional life.