Beets Are the Brains Fountain of Youth
Researchers from Wake Forest University shows beets are the brain’s fountain of youth. Their preliminary findings are that taking a beetroot juice supplement before working out can make the brain of older adults “perform more efficiently, mirroring the operations of a younger brain.” The beetroot supplement contains a high level of dietary nitrate, which is eventually converted into nitric oxide. The nitric oxide helps increase blood flow throughout the body and helps deliver more oxygen to the brain.
This is a yummy, easy, healthy beet salad we enjoy at our home.
- 45 oz can/jar beets drained or (3) 15 oz cans/jars-drained
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small minced clove garlic (or a pinch of minced garlic from a jar)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz plain goat cheese
- ½ cup roasted pecans
- Spinach (the amount you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend balsamic vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Mix beets, ½ chopped red onion, and balsamic vinegar mixture together.
- Marinate 1 or more hours. (The longer the better flavor.)
- Place spinach on the plate then place the beet salad on the spinach.
- Top with 3 oz goat cheese and ½ cup roasted pecans.