The coronavirus and other infectious diseases have been causing great concern among travelers recently. Everyone is concerned with how best to protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling. Travel stress is a challenge during normal times. Still, with the coronavirus looming, there is even greater stress when traveling these days. As the coronavirus grows into a global pandemic, there are many things you can do to keep you healthy and safe while you travel. Here are some helpful tips for preventing travel illnesses and to help protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling.
Tips for Preventing Travel Illnesses
If you’re taking a trip and you’re concerned about your health, consider taking general precautions. Listed below are some tips to protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling and to keep other top international travel diseases at bay.
- Schedule a pre-trip checkup. Before your trip, to ensure you are doing all you can to protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling, schedule a visit with your doctor. Visiting your doctor or a travel medicine specialist (since they keep up with diseases in other countries) is a great idea. Ask them about vaccines and drugs that will prevent such illnesses like malaria and hepatitis A.
- Research. Look up nearby medical services in the area you’re visiting so you’re prepared to protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling.
- Pack well. Bring along supplies like Pepto-Bismol for traveler’s diarrhea, including a Nsaid, an anti-inflammatory medicine like Alleve, long-sleeved clothes to avoid Malaria-ridden mosquitoes.
- Be careful. Take special consideration of your hygiene, meals, and water intake while you’re traveling. Keeping hydrated is critical to ward off the coronavirus and other diseases.
- Schedule a post-trip checkup. The final tip to protect yourself from the coronavirus when traveling is this: When you return from your trip, consult with your doctor if you’re feeling ill or came in contact with an ill person while on your trip for a final post-trip checkuop.
Make sure you also check out our article with some great tips on preventing travel stress.