Planning a menu for a party is easy. All you have to do is keep in mind that having a balance of savory and sweet items is important. Keep it simple by planning the menu around items that you already have in the pantry or the freezer like spinach roll-ups.
Spinach pinwheels are easy to whip up for a party. It is as simple as some frozen spinach mixed with cream cheese, hot sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper to make a filling and spread over the dough to be rolled and cut into pinwheels. Baked to a perfect golden brown with crisp layers; it’s a sure-fire crowd pleaser.
These snacks can will quench your children’s after school cravings and tide them over until dinner is on the table. Prepared crescent roll dough is used as a time saver (there are even low-fat varieties) and the filling can be interchanged easily as desired.
Spinach Roll-Ups Recipe
- 1 can crescent roll dough (low-fat is a good option)
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- ½ cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the filling by combining the spinach, cream cheese, hot sauce, garlic salt, and salt and pepper until combined with a spatula. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured clean workspace, open the can of crescent roll dough and unravel without breaking apart the segmented pieces. When the dough is stretched in a square, crimp together the cut pieces until there is one dough sheet.
- Spread the filling over all the dough, and then begin to roll the dough by lifting one side of it and folding it over evenly until a pinwheel is formed. Be sure to be gentle with the dough, as overworking it will melt it, or begin to break.
- Cut the pinwheel in half, and then cut each half into six, making 12 pastries. Place the pinwheels on a parchment lined sheet pan 4 x 3, pressing down lightly on each one, to flatten a little bit before baking.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 18-25 minutes. Oven times may vary.
- Allow to cool slightly before enjoying. If there are leftovers, keep them in an air-tight container for approximately 2-3 days.