Join Chef Kendrick on our new show, Cooking for Love, featured on the Mindful Living Network. Try this creamy, delicious, healthy broccoli soup recipe. Not only is it good, it’s also low calorie, low fat, dairy free, gluten free, vegan and healthy.
Cruciferous vegetables need to be an essential part of all of our diets for our health. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable and is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These powerful antioxidants reduce inflammation that cause diseases. They have been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, hypertension, cholesterol, and any disease linked to chronic inflammation. Garlic throughout history has been known for it’s medicinal properties. It is a powerful tool for your health and longevity. Garlic can reduce your blood pressure and cholesterol levels while also reducing your risk for heart disease, cancer, and your risk of getting a cold. It’s antioxidant enzymes may reduce your risk for Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked, set aside from the recipe, to make the cream
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-16 oz broccoli (about 7 cups, packed)
- 5 cups water, or broth, or half water and half broth for added flavor
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- optional:(1/2 – 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, added at the end, when blending)
- optional:(1/2 tsp. dried ginger)
- optional:(1/4 tsp. cumin)
- Separately, place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water. Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight (or pour boiling water over the cashews, and let them soak for 15 minutes.
- If you have a high-speed blender, they won’t need to soak long.) Set aside.
- Add oil to a large pot (or dutch oven) over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add onion and two pieces of salt and sauté for about three minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add garlic, broccoli and spices, and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Separately, while simmering the soup, drain the cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water in a blender.
- Blend until very smooth and creamy. Set the cashew cream aside.
- You can adjust its seasoning too, with salt to round it out or add sugar if you want it sweeter. This cashew cream stores well and can be used with other drinks, foods.
- Puree soup using the same large blender or immersion blender into the pot. You’ll likely have to blend in the blender in batches.
- Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream, or reserve a few spoonfuls, to add a few Tbsps. onto the top of each serving for decoration and deliciousness! It will look elegant!
- Taste for seasoning and season to taste with additional salt and pepper or other spice if desired.
- You can also freeze in one serving containers to enjoy later.