Music has amazing power. It can help you after heartbreaks and energize you during exercise sessions. But most importantly, music can bring you inner peace. You can alter your life with this Mindful music rejuvenation tips practice.
According to the Greek philosopher Plato, music is a life necessity. A quote from Plato reads: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” While meditation, classical, or religious music are often used for our spiritual health, any music can positively affect our souls. For you it may mean a genre of music that brings up fond childhood memories or music that physically encourages you to relax.
Music doesn’t just affect our spiritual health; it can also affect our physical health. According to research from Taiwan, relaxing with music 30 minutes a day while breathing deeply can lower the stress hormone, cortisol, and ease anxiety. An Italian study also found that listening to Celtic, classical, or Indian music for 30 minutes while breathing slowly could lower blood pressure. A Japanese study found that opera music could boost the health of our immune system. And music therapy has been shown to help with insomnia.
To reap both the spiritual or physical benefits of music, consider these Mindful music rejuvenation tips:
- Start your day the right way. Music is the best way to begin in the morning, even if you aren’t a morning person. Consider using peaceful or relaxing music during your morning meditation sessions. It’s the best way to boost your spirit and prepare you for the rest of the day.
- Mindful playlists. Create spiritual playlists for various challenging situations you’re faced with throughout the day. Do you get commuter frustration? Consider creating a calming mp3 playlist for the journey. Experiencing job burnout? Consider creating an energizing playlist.
- Note the melody and the lyrics. Don’t just let the music go through one ear and out the other. Slow down and focus on the melody and the lyrics. The words and message of a song is just as important to your spirit as the tune is.
- Play your own spiritual music. Are you a musician? Consider playing calming music to help you relax. If you don’t play an instrument consider learning (it’s a great hobby that boost brain power) or try joining a local community singing group.
- What’s your theme song? Feeling down lately? Music can be the solution. Consider picking a song that relaxes you after a tough day or boosts your self-confidence. Let this song be your own personal anthem.