Not sure what to serve your guests at your Superbowl party? Here are some perfect snacks for your Superbowl Party, compliments of PETA. (They also all happen to be vegan as well!). Make one or make them all! These easy appetizers (potato skins, jalapeno poppers and nachos) are sure to have your guests asking for more by halftime, so make sure to get plenty of ingredients in case you need to make more during the game!
- 6 potatoes
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/8 cup vegan bacon bits (try Bac~Os)
- 1/4 cup vegan aioli or chipotle mayo
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Vegan sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and microwave on high until soft, approximately 10 to 12 minutes, or bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave or oven, let cool, and cut in half vertically. Scoop out the insides, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Fill with the “cheese” and vegan bacon bits. Arrange on the prepared baking pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the “cheese” has melted.
- Top with the vegan aioli, sliced scallions, and vegan sour cream and serve.
Makes 12 servings
‘Cheesy’ Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
Cheesy, smoky, and a bit spicy, these vegan jalapeño poppers are the perfect addition to any appetizer spread.
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. vegan bacon bits
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 10 fresh jalapeños, seeded, tops removed, and set aside
- 2 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart VeganEgg + 1/2 cup ice-cold water (or 1 flax egg, see below)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying (optional)
- Place the VeganEgg mixture in a small bowl.
- Pour the bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- Dip each jalapeño in the VeganEgg mixture (or flax egg), coating thoroughly, then roll in the bread crumbs. For a crunchier popper, repeat these steps.
- To fry: Fill a frying pan with 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat to 350°F. Using tongs, carefully place several breaded jalapeños into the oil. Turn after 5 minutes and remove from the oil when golden brown. Allow to cool on paper towels for 5 minutes, then serve.
- To bake: Place the jalapeños on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once halfway through baking. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Makes 10 poppers
Nachos are a game-day classic. Try our recipe, loaded with the best fixings: black beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, black olives, avocado. And to make this recipe vegan, check out the cashew cheese recipe listed below.
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 12 oz. black beans
- 12 oz. corn
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups cashew cheese or regular cheese for a non-vegan version
- 1/2 cup guacamole or freshly sliced avocado
- 1/2 lime
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Spread the tortilla chips evenly on a large baking sheet.
- Top the tortilla chips with the black beans, corn, onion, tomato, cilantro, olives, and cashew cheese (or try a vegan nacho cheese brand such as Follow Your Heart) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the guacamole or avocado and squeeze some lime juice over the top.
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients for Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- Cold water sufficient to cover the cashews by 2 inches
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl. Add the cold water and let soak for 2 hours. Drain.
- Combine the cashews, 1/3 cup of water, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until very smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 2 days. Refrigerate until ready to use or for up to 5 days.
Makes 1 1/4 cups