The season is starting to heat up and it’s almost time to fire up your grill. If you’re in the mood for grilled meal, we’ve found a great recipe for you! It’s soy shish kabobs! They’re not only delicious and healthy—they’re also the perfect way to celebrate Soy Food Month.
Soy-based foods are made from soybeans, a very versatile legume. These products are a lifesaver for vegan, vegetarians, and other people with dietary restrictions. Today, you can find a soy-based substitute for practically everything, including flour, milk, yogurt, burgers, and ice cream. So, it’s probably no surprise that soy-based foods have their own month of recognition. The Mindful Living Network has decided to celebrate with a Thai-flavored recipe.
This grilled Thai kabob is made with extra firm tofu and vegetables, but if you aren’t a big fan of tofu, you can easily use another soy product. Brands such as Beyond Meat, Boca, Gardenburger, and MorningStar Farms sell a variety of yummy foods that you can use for your kabobs, such as “chicken” strips, “sausages,” and “riblets.” To make a delicious soy kabob, check out the recipe listed below.
Thai Grilled Tofu & Vegetables Shish Kabob
(recipe from Nancy Montuori at Ordinary Vegan)
- 1 package of extra firm tofu, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 inches ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large lime, squeezed of juice
- 1-2 serrano peppers, chopped (depending on heat – add one, taste and add more if you want more heat) or jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 16 white or brown mushrooms
- 1 portablella mushroom, cut into four pieces
- 1 Asian eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 red onion, cut into large chunks
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Pour marinade over tofu and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Alternatively, thread the red pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, onion, and tomatoes onto the skewers.
- Whisk olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Brush mixture over vegetables.
- Remove tofu from the marinade and thread onto the wooden skewers. Reserve the marinade.
- Cook skewers on the preheated grill, occasionally turning until the vegetables are tender and the tofu has nice golden brown grill marks and color.
- Meanwhile, heat the reserved marinade and drizzle over tofu and vegetables.