Everybody loves a yummy bowl of soup. It’s a beloved and easy-to-make meal. And since it’s National Soup Month, what better way to celebrate than with a delicious broccoli and soup recipe? With this recipe, you can feed both your soul and your body.
Soups have been a healthy and important part of the human diet for centuries. In fact, soup was said to be the basic sustenance for peasants and soldiers in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. This comes as no surprise considering that soups are usually packed with nutritious vegetables that give our bodies some much-needed vitamins and minerals.
This recipe for broccoli and cheese soup is a healthier twist on a classic dish: broccoli and cheese casserole. Growing up broccoli and cheese casserole was a Thanksgiving and Christmas staple in my family. This recipe calls for more broccoli than the typical casserole, which means you and your family get an extra dose of vitamin C and vitamin K. Vitamin K will keep your bones healthy, and vitamin C is said to reduce stress, lower risk of stroke, and keep your skin healthy. This recipe also skips the typical crackers, rice, or pasta that usually comes with the casserole dish. So, this soup also cuts back on the extra carbs that are found in the casserole.
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
(recipe from MyRecipes.com)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring to make a paste, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth and then bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cook, stirring often until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a blender, puree broccoli mixture in batches. Transfer batches to a large bowl.
- Return puree to saucepan, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Gradually whisk in milk and 1 of cup cheese. Ladle soup into bowls.
Bonus. Need something to go with your broccoli soup? Consider topping your soup with croutons and a sprinkling of cheese. Or you can use sour cream as a topping. Broccoli and cheese soup also tastes delicious with grilled cheese sandwiches or cheesy quesadillas.