The Coronavirus is spreading across the globe. If you want to prevent getting sick, or prepare yourself just in case you do get sick, we have some home remedies for the coronavirus for you. Three simple foods (ginger, turmeric, and honey) are all you need to make natural home remedies for your virus, cold or flu symptoms.
Honey gives your immune system a boost and many believe it helps sore throats. In fact, in one pediatric study parents rated honey as their most favorable form of symptom relief for kids with nocturnal coughs and sleep difficulty. If someone you love wants to find home remedies for the coronavirus, try making these honey home remedies for cold and flu symptoms.
- Homemade honey cough drops. You can make your own cough drops with this recipe from The Coconut Mama. All you need is raw honey, coconut oil, and cinnamon. The cough drop soothes your coughs and boosts your immune system at the same time.
- Infused honey tea. Tea with honey and lemon is commonly found being served to flu or cold sufferers. Honey that has been infused with herbs or spices helps jazz your tea up by adding extra flavor to your tea. Make your own thyme-infused honey and add it to the tea, for instance.
Throughout history, different civilizations (from the Chinese to the Greeks) have used the root of the tropical ginger plant for medicinal purposes. Helping with aches and pains as well as sore throats, Ginger has anti-inflammation properties as well. If you’re looking for home remedies for the coronavirus, ginger is definitely another food to try.
- Orange and ginger juice. Do you have sick children that need something to drink? Consider making orange and ginger juice with fresh oranges, fresh ginger, and a juicer. The vitamin C will help boost their immune system. For more information, check out this post from bbcgoodfood.com
- Honey ginger lime tea. Not a big fan of tea? A warm drink made with ginger may help instead. For example, a recipe by the Kitchen Paper is with four ingredients: fresh ginger, hot water, fresh lime, and honey. It’s refreshing and has a bit of a zing.
Used in medicinal practices for centuries, like ginger, turmeric is a great home remedy. For example, the bright yellow spice has anti-inflammation properties and also helps with sore throats. If you’d like to use turmeric in your home remedies for the coronavirus, try some of the examples listed below.
- Turmeric and ginger chicken soup. Sick people are almost always offered some kind of soup to eat. In America, it’s often chicken noodle soup. When your loved one is sick, skip the canned soup and make your own. For example, Bon Appetit recipe includes chicken, onions, garlic, carrots, noodles, and, of course, turmeric and ginger.
- Cold and flu gummies. Made with coconut milk, fresh ginger, honey, turmeric, and gelatin, these gummies from The Cook’s Pyjamas are said to prevent colds. You can make these gummies in a fun mold like teddies bears or dinosaurs.
Bonus. Looking for more home remedies for the coronavirus, or other cold and flu symptoms? You can replenish your energy with homemade electrolyte drinks and soothe a sore throat with a special “cold” popsicle. For example, check out our article on natural cold remedies for more details.
Important Medical Note: Be sure to talk to your doctor first, before trying alternative flu or cold remedies.