Between budget cuts and tight school schedules we are in a music crisis in our schools. Music is disappearing from our schools or worst in most schools is just an expandable subject. This is resulting in music classes and training disappearing in our schools. Music education is essential in schools for the development of our children in many ways so we must keep music in the classroom.
Here are some reasons we need to keep music in the classroom:
- Language and reasoning development. Language and reasoning areas of the brain are more developed in children who have had early musical training.
- Kids stay in school. Kids that take music stay in school and are higher achievers.
- Intellectual development. Child musicians have high intellectual development.
- Emotional development. Kids who take music are more emotionally developed and have high self-esteem.
- SAT scores.Students musicians have higher SAT scores.
- Music creates mental and physical health.Music reduces stress, stimulates the body to produce relaxation chemicals, and boosts kids’ immune systems.
- Community. Music classes create student community and strong relationships. Kids learn how to work and support each other.
- Emotional stability. Music leads our students into self-discovery, greater expression and understanding of their emotions and the ability to express their emotions in a healthy, overt manner.