This is a simple, quick, and healthy meal for summer. Shish kabobs are low in fat, calories, carbohydrates but high in vitamins, minerals, and nutritional value. Grab your favorite summer veggies, put them on a skewer, and pour your favorite marinade on them. You can choose from a vast number of marinades at your grocery store or create your own recipe with your favorite flavors. Our family likes to pour a bottle of Viva Italian Salad Dressing over our shish kabobs.
Vegetables (Chop veggies into chunks)
- Red or green peppers
- Vidalia onions
- Cherry tomatoes
- Your Favorite Potatoes
- Meat Substitute (soy) of chicken or beef (Boca or Garden Burger have great meat substitutes)
- You can purchase your favorite marinade at your grocery store. There’s soy garlic, ginger honey, and garlic pineapple marinades to consider. There are other marinades for you to choose from if you prefer not to make on from scratch.
- Pour your marinade into a zip lock bag or a sealed container. Add the chopped up ingredients. Allow to marinade for at least an hour.
- Soak your skewers in water as you wait for the marinade.
- Skewer five to six pieces of vegetables and meat on each skewer. Do not overload the skewer.
- Set your grill on medium heat and continue to brush your marinade on your vegetable skewers as you cook.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Create a simple yogurt dipping sauce in lieu of ketchup or mustard for your shish kabobs. Use plain, thick strained yogurt and put it in the blender. Add minced garlic, a dash of salt and pepper, fresh basil or mint leaves, a tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of red wine vinegar. You can switch up the herbs to whatever you prefer (like dill). This Mediterranean dipping sauce is flexible. The key is the yogurt!