Nothing tastes better than a fresh, cold salad during hot, balmy, summer days. Officially, salad time is here. Using seasonal vegetables and fruits, this salad recipe is antioxidant-packed, cholesterol fighting, using bright blackberries, juicy strawberries, superfruit blueberries and buttery rich cashews. Sprinkle some ricotta cheese onto this sweet summer salad for added calcium. If you are worried about the fat content in cashews or if you are allergic to nuts, try fresh avocados as a great source of fiber. Recent research shows that antioxidants such as lycopene and beta-carotene are better absorbed with the healthy monounsaturated fat, which avocados have in abundance.
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 large cucumber peeled and sliced (sprinkle with sea salt for extra flavor)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbl Lemon juice
- 3 tbl Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Avocado sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (optional)
- Arrange the first 5 ingredients on a large plate in layers.
- In a bowl, combine and mix lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Add cheese and one or both of the optional ingredients.