Soup is a go-to meal in colder months. It’s easy to make, delicious, and healthy for you. If you’re tired of your canned chicken noodle soup, consider making your own veggie soup at home—it’s easier than you think! In fact, you can start by making this sweet potato and carrot soup. It has a short list of ingredients and it’s yummy!
The Health Benefits of This Soup
This tasty recipe is pretty straightforward. The main ingredients are onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, and fresh ginger. All of the ingredients are great for your overall health.
Carrots give your body a healthy dose of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber. Eating carrots can help prevent memory loss and keep your eyes in tip-top shape. The sweet potatoes are loaded with beta-carotene, vitamin B6, and potassium. And they can help fight heart disease, cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis. Then there is ginger, an ingredient that has been used in ancient medicines and is known to help fight against colds (which is great for this time of year).
In short, if you’re hungry for a new soup recipe, this one from Olive Magazine is for you.
Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Ginger Soup
(Recipe from Olive Magazine)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 1/4 cups of sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 1/4 cups of carrots, chopped
- 3 1/4-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 6 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, sweet potato, and carrots for 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for two minutes before adding the stock.
- Bring the soup to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the potato and carrots are completely tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth using a stick blender. Or wait until cool, puree in a blender, and then reheat on the stovetop.
- Add a little more stock or water if it’s too thick.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if it needs it, before serving.
Bonus. Looking for another soup recipe? Try this recipe for broccoli and cheese soup—it has only seven ingredients, so it’s easy to make as well. Or consider making homemade tomato soup. It’s yummy and you’ll love it!