Do you need a new recipe for lunch? Look no further! This salad makes a nutritious and filling meal—plus, it’s easy to make.
This is a refreshing healthy fall salad filled with nutrients. Red or purple cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable and research shows that it reduces the risk of cancer and other diseases. It is also filled with vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin K. The apples in the salad can also help lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease. Apples are filled with fiber that will keep you full during the day. People can benefit in lowering their body weight by integrating apples in their weight management programs.
Besides the cabbage and apples, this salad has walnuts and kiwifruit. Walnuts are rich with omega-3 fatty acids, which prevents inflammation. These nuts also prevent heart disease and premature aging as well. Kiwi is an exotic fruit that packs a nutritional punch. It has vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber, which makes it a great antioxidant that also benefits your colon.
The Perfect Dressing to Match!
This salad comes with it’s own dressing made with the honey, lemon juice, and dried mustard. And there are many nutritional benefits of this dressing. The honey has antioxidant and antibacterial properties, and the lemon juice has vitamin C. By eating this salad with this dressing, you will retain most of the valuable minerals and vitamins known to lower your risk of cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration, and many other diseases.
Are you hungry?
Ingredients for the salad:
- 3 red or Granny Smith apples
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 small green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, whisk together honey, lime juice, lime zest, mustard, and salt to make dressing.
- Core 1 apple and cut into thin strips; add to dressing (do not peel the skin; also consider dicing the apple).
- Add cabbage, kiwi fruit, green onion and walnuts; toss well.
- To serve, core and slice remaining two apples and mound cabbage mixture in center.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.