Everyone loves a bite-size sweet snack. They are easy to make, great for portioning your sugar intake, and fun to share. February is National Cherry Month and Great American Pie Month. Celebrate both holidays with homemade mini cherry pies.
Cherries are sweet, delicious, and a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. Cherries do your body good. Researchers have found that cherry juice can have “modest beneficial effects on sleep in older adults with insomnia.” Another study found that the anthocyanins and cyanidins found in tart cherries may reduce a person’s risk of colon cancer.
Are you hungry for cherries yet? Consider the recipe listed below.
Mini Cherry Pie Recipe
(from Like Mother, Like Daughter)
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/2 of cups water, plus 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 6 drops of red food coloring, optional
- Pre-made pie dough
- 1 egg
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the cherries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in food coloring if desired.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 2.5-inch cookie cutter, or cup, cut circles out of your piecrust. Cut stars out of the remaining piecrust with 1.5-inch cookie cutters or just use a knife.
- Fill your non-stick mini muffin pan with one circle each and press down. Put a little filling into each “pie” and place a star on top of each one.
- Combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and whisk together. Using a silicone brush, spread egg wash over the top of each pie.
- Place pan in the mini muffin pan oven and bake for about 25 minutes until crust is golden.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes in pan before removing them to a cooling rack0.
Bonus: Serving options. Looking for some serving options beyond the traditional dollop of whipped cream? There are plenty of Mindful options for you to try. With a little mascarpone cheese, sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream you can make mascarpone whipped cream. Are you a huge chocolate fan? Consider drizzling the top of your cherry pies with a little chocolate. Or if you want something a little fancier consider making a cheesecake mousse to go with the pie.