It’s National Honey Month and you can celebrate with this tasty honey ice cream recipe.
Health Benefits of Honey
Honey is packed with calories, but it also has many health benefits, too. Eating local honey can provide symptom relief to allergy sufferers. And if you’re suffering from a sore throat, honey can help with that as well. In one particular study, parents rated honey as the most favorable form of symptom relief for their children’s cough and sleep difficulty.
Eating honey isn’t the only way to reap sweet health benefits. You can also apply honey to your body to help with different ailments. Honey can treat minor skin damage, like reducing the appearance of scars, and it can help moisturize your hair.
Looking for a unique way to eat more honey? Try this honey flavored ice cream recipe from Jane Saunders at Little Sugar Snaps. It’s super tasty!
Honey Ice Cream with Sea Salt
(Recipe from Little Sugar Snaps)
- 5 fl oz of honey
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of sea salt crystals
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Put the milk into a medium sized pan (heavy based) over a medium heat. Split the vanilla pod and drop it into the pan. Heat until warm.
- Add the honey and stir through until it dissolves. Take off the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl for two to three minutes until thicker and paler.
- Pour the warm milk onto the yolks, whisking continuously.
- Pour the custard mix back into the pan and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon
- Take the pot off the heat. Remove the vanilla pod. Scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds back into the custard and throw away the pod.
- Grind the sea salt in a pestle and mortar until fine. Add the salt to the custard and mix well.
- Pour the custard into a bowl or jug, cover with plastic wrap (to stop a skin forming) and cool. Once cold, transfer to the fridge to chill overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- Next, pour the cream custard into your ice cream maker and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately or transfer the ice cream into a freezer-proof container. Cover the surface of the ice cream with foil and store in the freezer.
Serving Options. Your yummy honey ice cream will taste delicious on its own, but you can also get creative. Serve the ice cream between slices of pound cake for homemade ice cream sandwiches. Need another idea? Waffles and ice cream is also delicious. Consider serving your honey flavored ice cream with banana nut waffles.