This winter, warm your body and soul with a delicious bowl of soup. This Mindful recipe may be just what you need.
This recipe is made with a delicious autumn vegetable from the gourd family known as butternut squash or butternut pumpkin. Did you know that butternut pumpkins are high in fiber and vitamin A? They are also high in vitamin C and low in fat. These nutrients can do wonders for your body. Butternut squash, or butternut pumpkin, can lower high blood pressure, lower your risk of developing asthma, and also help your skin and hair look healthy and shiny.
This soup also has coconut milk and onions. Coconut milk has iron, potassium, fiber, and other nutrients that can help you manage your weight, lower your risk of cancer, and help strengthen your muscles and nerves. And onions contain nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 that have anti-inflammatory benefits. Onions can also keep your bones healthy and help the connective tissue in your body.
When the butternut pumpkin, coconut milk, and onions are added with red lentils, which is a heart-healthy food known to lower rates of heart disease, these ingredients create a hearty and healthy meal. And this delicious soup will make a great go-to dish any day. Are you hungry yet? Listed below is the recipe for this Mindful soup.
Curry Pumpkin and Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 lbs butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, and cubed in small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk (lite)
- 1 cup of water
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic, cooking for five to six minutes until soft. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for a minute.
- Add lentils, pumpkin, stock, coconut milk, and water. Stir until well-combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, partially covered, for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly until pumpkin is just tender.
- Puree mixture if a smoother texture is preferred and serve with a garnish of yogurt or curry oil.