It’s a new year and many of us want to begin with healthier food choices. A simple, quick choice is a veggie stir-fry, especially with a delicious, nutritious source of protein.
Choose the veggies you love like broccoli, red peppers, carrots, and onions. I do not eat meat so I use tofu as a source of protein, but you can choose another protein you like. The key to learning how to use tofu is to get a great texture and flavor, not a soggy or bland taste. Serve the veggies over brown rice and you’ll be hitting your nutrition goals out of the park.
Veggie Tofo Stir Fry Recipe:
Ingredients (Serves: 2-3)
- 1 14-ounce package firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- ½ onion (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil to sauté veggies
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- For great tofu, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Begin with drying your tofu. To dry the tofu removes it from the package and place between paper towels. Place a plate on top of the tofu and then put something heavy like a book on the plate.
- Let it dry for about 15 minutes, changing your paper towels, as they get wet. After your tofu is dry, cut it into one-inch cubes.
- Arrange the tofu on a lightly greased baking sheet to prevent sticking and bake for a total of 30 minutes. Half way through, at 15 minutes, flip the tofu to bake the other side. Your tofu will have meat like texture.
- When tofu is golden brown take out from the oven and let the tofu cool while you stir-fry your vegetables.
- Begin cooking your rice now or use the instant bag rice available at your grocery.
- In a bowl, stir all of the sauce ingredients.
- Add sesame oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix in your favorite veggies and stir often for five to seven minutes. Add your sauce and continue to sauté the vegetables and sauce until thick and yummy looking. Add your tofu and cook for five more minutes. Your dry tofu will absorb this delicious sauce.
- Spoon your tofu and veggies over the rice.
- This also stays great in the refrigerator to have leftovers for another day.
- You can buy your favorite vegetable mixtures in the freezer department at your grocery and also buy your favorite delicious sauces in the sauce aisle. You can keep these prizes in your pantry and freezer to have on hand for times when you want a quick, delicious meal.
Your info is secure and we will never sell or distribute your personal information.