Putting things off is human nature for many of us. But procrastination creates tremendous stress in our lives. Procrastination makes you miserable, creates anxiety and can endanger your job and your relationships. Here are a few tips that may help you:
- Create positive affirmations. Research that tells us positive affirmations reduce stress, clear and center the mind. You may change your self talk to, “This is a challenge,” “I will learn a lot doing this project,” “I am focused and organized.”
- Make a list. Writing everything down removes the list from your brain and de-stresses your mind and body. Lists allow you create your priorities and experience great satisfaction when you cross things off your list instead of putting things off. PRIORITIZING is the secret to success.
- Create a folder. Create a folder or sheet of paper for each task. Break the task into smaller pieces so it doesn’t overwhelm you. Make sure to tie dates to each piece so you stay on task. You develop confidence and power and reduce your stress.
- Be realistic. Be realistic about how much time it will take to do the project. Don’t underestimate the amount of time.
- Buddy System. If you have a partner, spouse, roommate or coworker, enlist them to keep you on task and check in on your to ask if you are putting things off you shouldn’t be. The members of 12 step programs and support groups experience great success because of incredible group support.