Summer is a great time for fresh salads. And with July being the national month of blueberries, consider creating your own fruity and tangy summer salad.
Blueberries are a stress-busting food. They are a great source of vitamin C and they have antioxidants, which can help protect you against cancer. They also help provide a significant portion of your daily fiber needs! Finishing this dish off with fresh pecans or walnuts, great source of vitamin E and fiber, will help you have a mindful and balanced meal.
Here is a quick and easy salad recipe that incorporates this dietary-wonder fruit:
- ½ cup virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raspberry or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked/crushed black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mixed greens (try spinach for extra iron)
- 1 (4 ounce) package blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, raw or toasted
- In a food processor or a sealable container, mix the first six ingredients till they are blended well.
- After washing the blueberries and the mixed greens thoroughly, toss the remaining four ingredients into a large bowl and add your dressing as you wish!
- For more flavor, we suggest using toasted pecans or walnuts, but for more vitamin power go for the raw version. Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese such as a low-fat feta. You can even throw a ½ cup of blueberries in with your dressing ingredients to make a blueberry vinaigrette (you will need to use a food processor).